List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] Re: [Linux-HA] Heartbeat Signon Fails when called in
From:       Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-06-24 7:53:03

On 2004-06-23T15:02:22,
   "Salman, Basith" <Basith.Salman@ca.com> said:

Let's move this to the -dev list, please.

> Signon to HB fails (although the error code from sigon is HA_OK) when
> called from a client thread as the client threads parent PID is
> compared with the thread id (from getsockopt's PEERCRED option), this
> is so on 2.4.21-4.0.1.EL linux kernel (redhat).

The heartbeat libraries are not thread-safe in general...

Though what ought to work (and I hope this is what you are doing) is to
have a single worker thread interface with heartbeat and gate all
heartbeat stuff through it. Is it this what you are doing?

> However,Since this is an issue with us working on OpenDLM I was
> wondering if this auth check for the pid could be ifdeffed out from
> open HB source as below in hb_api.c as:
>
> diff hb_api.c.orig hb_api.c
> 1312a1313
> > #ifdef        FARSIDE_PID_CHECK
> 1322a1324
> > #endif

A unified diff would make it more obvious what you are really commenting
out here ;-) (I can see it from the context of the discussion of course,
but -u diffs are just easier to read and to merge after code changes.)

But no, that fix is not sufficient; it tries to prevent us from being
tricked into sending signals to random processes.

If anything, it'd at least need to make sure the F_PID at least belongs
to the same uid as the farside pid - so that the process cannot escalate
it's privileges this way.

Alan?

But if it's a kernel bug, it really needs fixing in the kernel.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	    \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs, Research and Development | try again. fail again. fail better.