List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] [announce] CGL v3.0 Clusters early draft available
From:       John Cherry <cherry () osdl ! org>
Date:       2004-04-30 23:21:38

I wanted to let this mailing list know about the availability of an
early public draft of the Carrier Grade Linux v3.0 Clusters
specification, available at

http://www.osdl.org/docs/cgl_clustering_requirements_definition___v30.pdf

We acknowledge that the clustering requirements in this draft are being
implemented in a variety of ways and many of the requirements in this
document exist in current clustering implementations.  We understand
from our usage model study that there can be NO one clustering model
that fits and meets the needs of all carrier applications.
The clustering requirements in this document are aimed at supporting
clustered applications in a carrier-grade environment as an effective
way to achieve highly available services inside a network element.
We specifically have not addressed the use of clustering to maximize
performance, such as in the Beowulf and Mosix types of solutions.

Again, this is an early draft document of the v3.0 clustering
requirements spec.  Past OSDL Carrier Grade Linux technical documents
have contained all requirements in a single document.  For OSDL CGL
v3.0 draft releases, we are releasing them as more granular sections,
roughly split on functional boundaries.  These boundaries are
Standards, Availability, Clustering (this document), Hardware,
Performance, Security, and Serviceability.

More information on Carrier Grade Linux and the Carrier Grade Linux
Working Group can be found at
http://osdl.org/lab_activities/carrier_grade_linux/.

Feel free to direct any comments on the spec to me directly at
cherry@osdl.org or to this mailing list at cgl_discussion@osdl.org.

John