List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    RE: [Linux-ha-dev] Security Aspect of SA HPI
From:       "Zou, Yixiong" <yixiong.zou () intel ! com>
Date:       2003-07-30 21:27:14

Yes.

> > My plan is to also write a STONITH plugin that uses the
> HPI.  If the
> > security is an issue, I'd like to know that now.
>
> The issue is that the HPI object typically needs to be provided some
> device-specific configuration information - which typically
> includes access
> information.  But, the security concerns (or insecure design)
> comes by this
> device-specific information.  However secure or insecure a
> particular HPI
> implementation is, you just reflect that up the line through
> the STONITH
> information, hopefully without changing the security
> implications at all.
>
> For example, some devices might be protected by UNIX device
> permissions.
> Others might be protected by login and password.  Others
> might be protected
> by public/private keys, etc.
>
> However the device wants you to authenticate yourself, you
> just have to
> support that --- and reflect it back up the STONITH
> configuration interface.

Right now we only have a dummy HPI plugin available which
does nothing.  The real device that's connected to a specific
hardware has not been invented yet.  I will certainly keep
this issue in mind when I do the implementation.

Thanks.
Yixiong Zou (yixiong.zou@intel.com)
(503) 677-4988

All views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender.