List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] bug report - heartbeat process exit automatically
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2003-06-27 2:10:27

Pan, Deng wrote:
> Hi,
> I changed the api_test.c program and started them on both nodes to let
> the cluster members ping/pong each other continuously. To my surprise,
> after about three hours, the heartbeat process on one node exited
> automatically. Fortunately, the other node was still alive and took over
> the virtual IP address. I reproduced this bug several times.
>
> The attachment is the log/debug files on both nodes, the source of
> api_test.c and the cluster config files. According to the log, it may be
> related to sequence number overflow.

That seems unlikely in three hours.  If I recall correctly the sequence
numbers are unsigned longs.  That would mean about 4 billion packets.  It
would be surprising if that happened in 3 hours.

I haven't looked at how big this file is, but typically I like for
attachments to be attached plain, without tarring or zipping.  Given how
much mail I get (and how many logs are attached), it makes my life a little
easier.

Also, for this kind of stress testing, please do it against the CVS version
- because it's reasonably different in packet handling than the old code.

Of course, it will get even more different when we change the API code to
use sockets instead of FIFOs.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce