List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    [Linux-ha-dev] Re: Linux HA info
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2003-02-25 21:00:39

Saul Soriano Torres wrote:
> Hi, (my english is not good, i hope you undestand me)

Su Ingles es mas mejor que mi Espanol ;-)

> I'm a Linux user from Mexico City, and I would like to know more about
> Linux HA (High Availability).
>

> What is Linux HA? is this an other Linux version? I visited the
> linux-ha.org page and I've been reading about it, but I'm not clear if
> this is a new Linux version or if RedHat or Suse Linux can convert to
> Linux HA, using some program or just using Advanced configurations to
> enable this High Availability, can you please give me some help
> explaining more about it?

Linux-HA is a set of packages to provide high-availability clustering
features for any Linux distro.  Linux-HA ships with Conectiva and SuSE,
Debian and other distributions.

So, with the Linux-HA packages (heartbeat, et al) installed you can make a
service highly-available by having it fail over to another computer in the
cluster.

The current version is limited to two-node clusters, although we are in the
process of writing software to eliminate that restriction.

Does this help?

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship....  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce