List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Restructuring process
From:       Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb () suse ! de>
Date:       2003-02-17 9:48:41

On 2003-02-17T00:33:29,
   Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh> said:

> Attached is my first set of organized thoughts on how one might go about
> the heartbeat restructuring which has been discussed before, and what it
> might look like.

This sounds all good to me.

> Here are some of the benefits of this process structure:
> 	Nearly all IPC will be consolidated to the IPC library.
> 	Latency should decrease, since packets don't go through as
> 	many processes Shutdown will be MUCH simpler.  Right now it's
> 	a mess (just ask Horms ;-))
> 	The protocol code can be made simpler, since the kludges
> 	associated with separate processes can go away.

In particular this one. Less complexity is always _good_.

> Here are some things I don't typically test heavily on a routine basis that will
> need thorough retesting:
> 	multicast protocol error detection and recovery
> 	API code
> 	extensive shutdown testing
> 	configuration file update testing
> 	Others?

Where does the current resource code fit in there? It would be really good if
we could use this chance to also separate it out into a separate process in
preparation for enhancing it.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
Principal Squirrel
SuSE Labs - Research & Development, SuSE Linux AG

"If anything can go wrong, it will." "Chance favors the prepared (mind)."
  -- Capt. Edward A. Murphy            -- Louis Pasteur