List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] send_arp doesn't work on 802.1Q VLAN interfaces
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2003-02-16 14:53:03

Tuomo Soini wrote:
> Steve Snodgrass wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:58:08PM -0500, Steve Snodgrass wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed a problem with 0.4.9f today.  It appears that send_arp
>>> does not
>>> work (at least on my Dell PE2550 with Broadcom Gbit interface) when
>>> it tries to
>>> send an ARP out of a VLAN interface.  Heartbeat works fine over the
>>> interface
>>> otherwise, but fails over without the gratuitous ARP which is not
>>> nice.  Is
>>> anyone successfully using heartbeat on VLAN interfaces?  If so, does
>>> send_arp
>>> work right for you?
>>

> How does it fail?
>
> It doesn't generate any errors for me. I know windows machines didn't
> recognize arp send by cluster but all non-windows machines recognized
> new address immidiately, so I think that's windows feature. I may be wrong.

It fails by sending the ARPs out the wrong address.  If you don't want to
ARP out the first interface (i.e., eth0), then it won't work right.  Steve
did some nice work finding and fixing this.  The bug was bonehead dumb, and
his fix is obviously right.  And, amazingly enough, the bug's expected
behavior matches the symptoms observed ;-)

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship....  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce