List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Using RAID1 SCSI disks with heartbeat
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2002-11-27 3:28:05

Darius Stout wrote:
> Hello Heartbeaters,
> Can someone help me out?  I am new to heartbeat and have been having
> great success with Redhat 8.0.  I have been testing with a big ole'
> Seagate Elite SCSI drive in the middle of two Compaq Presarios being
> chained together with an Adaptec 2940 on each side.  Works great! Now
> I am trying to add another drive and then "RAID 1" them and have them
> fail
> over to the secondary machine. Where do I put the raidtab file?  Can
> anyone send me an example "haresources" config?
> Thanks!
> Darius

I don't know anything about software RAID, BUT I do know something important
that you shouldn't overlook.

Don't overlook or neglect a STONITH device - or eventually you'll be sorry -
probably VERY sorry.  From your language I'd guess you're American (like
me).  There are various ways to do this on the cheap - but one is to buy an
APC UPS for each machine and cross-connect them with each machine
controlling the other's UPS.  Depending on your power capacity needs, you
can get them for as little as $40 USD each - and they're a UPS too ;-).

If you want to write STONITH code for another UPS, it's not too hard (given
the documentation), and other people's UPSes are cheaper than APC's.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship....  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce