List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Near future plans:  Re: [Linux-ha-dev] patch: to make an apphbd rpm
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2002-11-14 15:27:06

Brugger, Andrea L wrote:
> When are we estimating the next stable release to be?  If this info is on
> the website, I am obviously blind.  Could someone point me to it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrea

Hmmmm...

No, you're not blind...

Unfortunately I don't update the web site with future plans very often -
like every few years ;-)

It has been discussed fairly recently on the mailing list, though.

There is really only two things I feel I must do before I can try and put
together a stable release:

	- fix the "apphbd hangs the whole system" problem
and
- make sure the switchover to IPC for write child communications
		didn't really cause additional latency (or fix it if it did)

If Horms came up with a version of his IPC patch that I liked, I'd probably
try and include it too.

If everything went really smoothly, I'd like to see another beta this month,
let people get some experience with it, and then put out a final 0.5 next month.

But, the two problems above are pretty ugly to deal with.  The first one
doesn't seem to happen to everyone.  The second one is hard to verify,
because I have no metrics to compare against.

I almost certainly have to fix the second problem myself, since I would have
a hard time being convinced about it without doing the testing myself.

The first one is something that anyone who can reproduce the symptoms can
fix.  If I could get someone to fix the first problem, I could concentrate
on the second one and we could get this done sooner.

I'll put out a note with the details of my study on the apphbd bug so far.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@unix.sh