List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] High-Availability Linux (linux-ha) news for Oc tober
From:       Horms <horms () verge ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-07-28 14:48:12

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:34:48PM +0100, David Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Soffen, Matthew wrote:
>
> > NOTE: The Process Status stuff doesn't appear to be working under Solaris.
>
> Presumably by that you mean the "nice fix for ... ps" below...

Just to throw my 2c worth into this conversation.

I believe that Solaris has (at least) two versions of the ps
command. One (which is probably in /usr/bin) which does not honour
any changes a process makes to its procinfo and one (which is probably
in /usr/ucb/bin) which does when given the right arguments.

I believe that this is considered to be a security measure
as it stops processes from hiding themselves. Amusingly you
can do this anyway by writing a simple wrapper that execs
the desired binary. Ahh, university days... I digress.

--
Horms