List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Information required
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2002-03-15 13:47:12

Sree wrote:

> Hi ,
>   I want to some information regarding the differences between the the LINUX
> and HA LINUX.
>   For example i have written some code which compiles and runs on the LINUX
> on an Intel Platform.Will that same code willcompile and  run on HA LINUX on
> a Motorola PowerPC Platform?Do we require any source code modification to
> make it run on HA LINUX?If so what are the Porting requirements?
>
> Also what is the effort in porting from VxWorks to HA LINUX?

Hi Sree,

High-Availability Linux is simply Linux with a few additional packages and
features.  All code which runs on "normal" Linux will run on HA Linux. If
your code is portable between architectures, then it will run nicely on HA
Linux of any architecture, once it runs on one.  But, if your code isn't
portable (it relies on byte order, or something similar), it will require
some changes.

To make your software become highly available, you'll have to make sure it's
  robust with respect to crashes, and then write a resource script so that
the HA software can start it, stop it, tell if it's running, and tell if
it's working.

With regard to VxWorks to Linux - somone else will have to answer that.  But
HA Linux does not impose any additional constraints.

If want your code to be cluster-aware, then you'll have to change it to
conform to one of the various HA communication paradigms that are out there.
  Heartbeat has its own API, Failsafe has another, etc.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@unix.sh