List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] Re: HA
From:       Andreas Piesk <a.piesk () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-10-24 18:53:45

Tuesday, October 23, 2001, 10:41:00 PM, Alan Robertson wrote:

AR> Scott LaLonde wrote:
>>
>> Alan,
>>
>> I'm running RedHat 6.2 HA in a two node failover enviroment.
>> I currently have both connected into a 10/100 hub in my DMZ.
>> I would like to move them to a BayNetworks 450 switch.  But
>> whenever there is a failover condition the VIP is associated with
>> the mac address of the primary and doesn't move over to the
>> backup.    I assuming that HA software is suppose to flush the
>> arp table on the switch but doesn't seem to work.   Is this a
>> problem with the switch or the HA software?

AR> If I understand you correctly, then it's a bug in the switch.

AR> You said it "doesn't move over to the backup".  By this do you mean that the
AR> IP address isn't taken over by the secondary, or do you mean that the IP
AR> address has been taken over, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect?
AR> I'm assuming that this latter problem is the one you're seeing.

AR> It's funny you should write just now.  This morning I got a detailed report
AR> on this problem from some guys in Japan.  They were having trouble with a
AR> Bay switch, and invented a much nicer workaround for at least their
AR> particular case.

AR> They changed the gratuitous ARP reply to an ARP request, and their switch
AR> was much happier.  What I did was changed the code to send *both* an
AR> broadcast ARP request and a broadcast ARP reply.  This should make everyone
AR> as happy as they're going to get.

AR> If you want to try the new ARP code, it's in the 0.4.9.0h beta which is now
AR> on the web site.  This beta looks quite stable, and seems to test out
AR> nicely.

me too. :) my problem device: bay networks router. so it seems to be
specific for bay networks devices. we reconfigured the router, now teh
arp cache will flushed every 5 min. suboptimal solution. so i will
definetely test the h-release (after backporting the
shutdown-without-stonith to this release).

ciao -ap

--
Andreas Piesk a.piesk@gmx.net
PGP-Fingerprint: 23CB A7E2 2E53 373C  DBCD 8EFC 7777 61C1