List:       linux-ha-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-ha-dev] [Q] Is there a way to use disk labels inharesources?
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2001-10-19 13:46:39

Maurice Volaski wrote:

> >If all you have is a problem with the Filesystem resource, then you can use
> >symlinks.  If you're running NFS (which as Juri said is pickier), that won't
> >help.
>
> Any suggestions then?

First:

*Are* you planning on failing over NFS on top of these volumes?

If so, you'll have to either make the major/minors that you mount match.
No exceptions allowed that I'm aware of  You can do this directly, by
manipulation of your hardware configuration, so they match.
Or, you'll have to use something like the md (RAID) driver or a volume
manager on top of your devices so they can be made to match that way.

Or you could write a really useful (but simple) kernel driver which would
allow you to map minors through it.  For example, you could configure it to
map dev (4,16) into its minor 0, and 5,35 into its minor 1 on one machine
On the other machine you could map and dev(4,31) into minor 0 and (5,13)
into minor 1.

We'd be glad to host the source to this driver here.

Secondly:
If you're not failing over NFS, then you can either use symlinks or you can
write your own filesystem resource script which works on the basis of labels
rather than device names.

Rudy, Dusan:
Could one of you write this up and add it to the faqntips doc?

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@unix.sh