List:       linux-ha
Subject:    Re: [Linux-HA] Backing out of HA
From:       Arnold Krille <arnold () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2013-07-02 20:36:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Just a small comment, maybe of benefit to others...

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:31:13 -0400 William Seligman
<seligman@nevis.columbia.edu> wrote:
> "Poisoned resource"
>
> This is the one you can directly attribute to my stupidity.
>
> I add a new resource to the pacemaker configuration. Even though the
> pacemaker configuration is syntactically correct, and even though I
> think I've tested it, in fact the resource cannot run on either node.
>
> The most recent example: I created a new virtual domain and tested
> it. It worked fine. I created the ocf:heartbeat:VirtualDomain
> resource, verified that crm could parse it, and activated the
> configuration. However, I had not actually created the domain for the
> virtual machine; I had typed "virsh create ..." but not "virsh
> define ...".
>
> So I had a resource that could not run. What I'd want to happen is
> for the "poisoned" resource to fail, I see lots of error messages,
> but the remaining resources would continue to run.
>
> What actually happens is that resource tries to run on both nodes
> alternately an "infinite" number of times (10000 times or whatever
> the value is). Then one of the nodes stoniths the other. The poisoned
> resource still won't run on the remaining node, so that node tries
> restarting all the other resources in the pacemaker configuration.
> That still won't work.

This is the reason why I _always_ create new resources with
'is-managed="false"' and see what happens. pacemaker then runs a
monitoring action without doing anything about the results. Very nice
to see if the resource is workable for pacemaker without killing the
cluster. If all works (and the normal working day is over) I activate
all the resources that are not yet managed...

Have fun,

Arnold