List:       linux-ha
Subject:    [Linux-HA] Silly question (maybe) about hostnames and heartbeat
From:       Rubin Bennett <rbennett () thatitguy ! com>
Date:       2008-05-31 19:59:12

Hello all!

After lurking for a long time on this list, I have a question about a
failover pair I've been tasked with building up.

It's a super straight forward setup with an IP address and one service
as shared resources, with one significant twist.

The Shared resource is a Scalix mailserver installation.  It is managed
by 3 init scripts, (/etc/init.d/(scalix|scalix-tomcat|scalix-postgres),
and runs on a shared IP address managed by heartbeat
The Message store is replicated via drbd and/ or rsync done from LVM
snapshots on the primary node.

The trick is the hostname: it *must* be identical on both nodes in order
for the failover to be successful.  Due to the internals of a Scalix
message store, changing the hostname is next to impossible and very
strongly discouraged (even though it is documented on their website,
with strong wording like "This *may* work for you, but it will more
likely hose your message store.  Remember, we told you not to try this!"

So my dilemma is that I need to run heartbeat on 2 systems, both
configured with the same hostname (mail.domain.com).  I have added
entried in /etc/hosts for the "native" ip addresses of the NICs and the
extra hostnames that correspond to each, but as far as I can tell, this
is not compatible with Heartbeat, as both nodes have the same output
from uname -n

Has anyone done this, and do I have a snowball's chance in hell of
getting it to fly?

Thanks very much in advance,
Rubin
--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759