List:       linux-ha
Subject:    Re: [Linux-HA] using USB instead of serial
From:       Dejan Muhamedagic <dejanmm () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2008-05-30 15:06:29

Hi,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 03:28:19PM +0100, Joao Ferreira wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In my project I may come to a situationin which I cannot use the
> existing serial port...
>
> is anyone out there using any kind of USB-USB cables/adaptors and making
> the USB port 'look like' a serial port for heartbeat...

Many people enquired about USB, but then nobody bragged about
making it work.

> for example:
> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248
>
> I supose it should be possible to load some kernel module/driver in
> order for the physical device be transparent for heartbeat... or isn't
> is so ?

I suppose so. Given that serial semantics are provided on a
device (whatever that may be), heartbeat should be happy with it.

> thanks a lot
> Joao
>
> BTW: some USB cables are cheaper then the serial

I guess that null-modem cables are expensive because nobody wants
them anymore ;-)

Thanks,

Dejan