List:       linux-ha
Subject:    [Linux-HA] initdead
From:       Stephen Souness <sounie () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-24 2:05:21

Hi.

I have been doing a little experimentation to try to come up with some
suitable values for the various timeouts for heartbeat and the resources
in my cluster.

To try out the effect of different initdead values in ha.cf I have
stopped heartbeat from running on both of the nodes in the cluster, and
then started it on the one that is configured as the primary node.

What I would have expected to see was heartbeat starting up and then
waiting for the duration specified for initdead, then realising that the
other node in the cluster was not responsive, then starting up the
resource(s).

What I have observed is that the delay appears to be 50% longer than the
initdead that has been specified.

E.g.
- when I set initdead to 120 seconds, my heartbeat log has a time
difference of around 188 seconds from when heartbeat first starts up and
when it starts to consider its resources;
- when I set initdead to 240 seconds, my heartbeat log has a time
difference of around 368 seconds from when heartbeat first starts up and
when it starts to consider its resources;

I have recorded values of 3 observations for each initdead value being
set at 60, 120, 180 and 240 seconds and have seen this linear pattern
emerge quite clearly.

Have I missed something obvious regarding how initdead works?

--
Stephen