List:       linux-ha
Subject:    Re: [Linux-HA] Heartbeat suitability question
From:       Peter Kruse <pk () q-leap ! com>
Date:       2005-08-31 11:43:30

Hello,

Andrew Beekhof (GMail) wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Alan Robertson wrote:
>

>> Andrew Beekhof:  How can one tell it that applications ought to
>> migrate on failure in release 2.  Can this be done with negative
>> resource stickiness?
>
> A negative value for resource stickiness would result in the resource
> (s) always being moved, every time the PE is invoked.
>
> At the moment, the PE would usually try and recover the resource in  its
> current location after a monitor failure.  However, if the  recovery
> fails it will then me migrated to a new machine (unless it  was the stop
> that failed and fencing is not configured).
>
> If someone was to say that we need the ability to skip straight to
> migrating the resource, I doubt I would have any objection.

it sounds resonable to first try and start the resources again before
failing over.  Can you explain what configuration is neccessary to
achieve this?  From the docs I think these settings have to be made:

in cib.xml:

<nvpair id="stonith_enabled" name="stonith_enabled" value="true"/>
<primitve ... on_stopfail="fence" ...
<operations>
           <op ... on_fail="fence" name="monitor" .../>
           <op ... on_fail="fence" name="start" .../>
           <op ... on_fail="fence" name="stop" .../>
</operations>

Is that correct or is something missing?

Moreover in http://linux-ha.org/ClusterConcepts I read:

To Add
Relationship between quorum and fencing.

which would be nice, as I don't fully understand.  It is written in
http://linux-ha.org/ClusterResourceManager/DTD1.0/Annotated

that if you set no_quorum_policy to "freeze" or "stop" then
fencing is disabled.  Does that mean I either have fencing
or a quorum-policy?  In other words, do I have to set
no_quorum_policy to "ignore" to have fencing?

Regards,

	Peter