List:       linux-ha
Subject:    Re: Detecting availability of passive nodes
From:       Alan Robertson <alanr () unix ! sh>
Date:       2002-02-20 15:36:54

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2002-02-20T12:25:33,
>    Martijn Klingens <mklingens@ism.nl> said:
>
> > We have two incoming leased lines of 2 Mbit. Both lines arrive directly on a
> > linux box with a HDLC card. Because we need more bandwith and we want to have
> > some failover capability we would like to have two additional leased lines on
> > a separate linux box.
>
> You want to use a routing protocol like OSPF, RIPv2 or something; use the
> right tool for the job and have a look at http://www.zebra.org/.

Lars probably gave the best answer to your question.

However, there is a more literal answer to your question as well...

Heartbeat doesn't assume an active/passive model.  Both sides can have
active resources on them.  One possibility would be to define a resource
script for the "other half of the bandwidth", and then between the two
scripts track if the local node is running half or all of the bandwidth.

Another possibility would be to use the heartbeat API to watch nodes and
links coming and going and do whatever you want...

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr@unix.sh

Linux HA Web Site:
  http://linux-ha.org/