List:       linux-ha
Subject:    Re: Red Hat Linux Advanced Server?
From:       Peter Badovinatz <tabmowzo () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-02-16 22:37:30

Terje Bless wrote:

> I see from various news sources that Red Hat has announced a "Red Hat Linux
> Advanced Server" product to be available in Q2. Does anyone know anything
> more about this product?

According to Tim Burke (now at Red Hat), who presented at the recent
Linux World, it will be based on open source Kimberlite from Mission
Critical.

> It's said to support two-node failover clusters (no word on whether it's
> active/active or active/passive, but it sounds like the former from the
> press releases) in addition to a couple of other key features.
>
> Is this based off Linux-HA? Red Hat used to have a HA product based on Red
> Hat 6.2 that seemed to use Linux-HA (on cursory inspection); is this new
> product merely an update of that or is this a completely new product?

Whatever Kimberlite has in common with Linux-HA, so will Red Hat's work
for now.  I don't recall right now much anything new and exciting, but
the presentation was putatively about choosing an HA product, not about
Red Hat's specific product, so didn't go into deep detail.

--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo@us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat@us.ibm.com

Linux HA Web Site:
  http://linux-ha.org/
Linux HA HOWTO: