List:       linux-gcc
Subject:    Re: Problem using C Compiler on Linux
From:       linas () linas ! org
Date:       1999-08-21 20:10:28

It's been rumoured that Piriya Kevalee said:
> Linux.  We found that c compiler on Linux can not support multiple
> definition of funtion name, here is the error message
>
>         [informix@sbaweb post]$ c4gl mainlink.4gl sub1link.4gl
> sub2link.4gl -o mainlink
>         /tmp/cca011523.o: In function `local_cal':
>         /tmp/cca011523.o(.text+0x11c): multiple definition of
> `local_cal'
>         /tmp/cca011522.o(.text+0xf8): first defined here
>         [informix@sbaweb post]$
>
> Our programs use a lot of
> multiple definition and we do not have much time to re-write them and We
> think this feature is a must for complier in order to link libs or
> shared modules.Do you have any suggestion for us ?

You won't find this suggestion useful, but:

Multiple definitions of the same struct are bound to lead to serious
and fundamental programming errors.  If a user modifes a struct in one
place and forgets to modify it in other places, you will have some very
difficult to diagnose & track down bugs.

If I was less kind I would say this is a sign of bad programming.
If I were lead architect/manager, I'd escalate fixing this to a high priority.
I'll bet you will discover & fix a lot of bugs in the process.

--linas