List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: Best choice for large filesystems
From:       Matthew Kirkwood <weejock () ferret ! lmh ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-10-13 23:37:01

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I have a new 18GB drive and I want to put a large filesytem on it.
> Like anything from 9 - 18GB.  I already have several 4GB ext2
> filesystems and their fsck times are just too painful.  I could just
> imagine an 18GB fs.

For the moment, ext2 is the only Linux filesystem that I would consider
for production use.  reiserfs is very nice, but until it has proved
itself a little more (and its fsck isn't so slow) I will only really
use it for scratch space and squid caches.

You can speed ext2 fsck times dramatically by making the filesystem with
4K blocks, rather than the (old?) default of 1K, though.

Matthew.