List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Metadata larger than block size?
From:       Steve Dodd <dirk () loth ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-06-24 22:58:23

Hi,

I'm looking at the NTFS stuff again and have come across another problem:
on-disk metadata (inodes, a.k.a FILE records) can be larger than the block
size. Is it me, or does this make reading the suckers a real pain? I'd like
to avoid the obvious but slow solution of "allocate a FILE record sized chunk
of memory, read the buffer heads, and copy the data". It is an issue because
the structures inside the inode records can't be guaranteed not to run over
block boundaries inside the record.

--
If you've been pounding nails with your forehead for years, it may feel
strange the first time somebody hands you a hammer. But that doesn't