List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: file leases
From:       Jamie Lokier <jamie () shareable ! org>
Date:       2004-09-22 21:43:02

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:32:32PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > [2004/09/22 11:39:10, 3] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_oplock_receive_message(149)
> > linux_oplock_receive_message: kernel oplock break request received for dev = 303, \
> > inode = 1325168 fd = 28, fileid = 6
>
> This shows that smbd is being signalled.

No, that's an occasion where there wasn't a stall.  Check the dates:

jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p 3rd.jpg 4th.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 11:50:49 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 11:51:34 BST 2004

The "grep linux_ /var/log/samba/log.smbd" is done _after_ that.
This is the last message containing linux_ in the log:

[2004/09/22 11:50:40, 3] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_set_kernel_oplock(185)
  linux_set_kernel_oplock: got kernel oplock on file x/3rd.jpg, dev = 303, inode = \
1325168, file_id = 7

> > Perhaps more worryingly, there is no communication with Windows ME, so
> > Windows ME may still think it has the oplock.  20 minutes later, after
> > viewing the file a couple more times in ME, and after editing it
> > locally, there are no further messages with "oplock" or "linux" in the
> > Samba log.
>
> I need to see the complete debug level 10 log. Once smbd has received
> the message it should send the "oplock break request" to the client.
> It's possible that the client is not responding to that, but this can
> be due to a multitude of client issues (especially with Win9x based
> code).

No, Samba is not receiving the lease message at the times when
operations stall for 45 seconds (or it isn't logging it).

The line you picked out was from a time when it didn't stall - that's
showing us that these messages are delivered sometimes, but not always.

I know you want to see a detailed trace, so I prepared one.

These are the commands I did on the server.  Notice how some of them
stall and some don't.  I've inserted the places where I opened a file
in Internet Explorer and then closed it again, on the ME client:

[ Opened test.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p test.jpg 2nd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:29:53 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:30:38 BST 2004
[ Opened test.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p test.jpg 2nd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:30:50 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:30:50 BST 2004
[ Opened test.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p test.jpg 2nd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:31:01 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:31:01 BST 2004
[ Opened 2nd.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p 2nd.jpg 3rd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:31:23 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:32:08 BST 2004
[ Didn't do anything on the client ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p 2nd.jpg 3rd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:32:22 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:32:22 BST 2004
[ Opened 2nd.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p 2nd.jpg 3rd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:32:34 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:32:34 BST 2004
[ Opened 2nd.jpg on client; then closed it ]
jamie@kushida ~/x $ date; cp -p 2nd.jpg 3rd.jpg; date
Wed Sep 22 22:32:45 BST 2004
Wed Sep 22 22:32:45 BST 2004

There are four log files, two of which are too large to post to the
list so I'll send them to you (Jeremy) directly.  (Anyone else who
wants these files, just ask).

    1. log.smbd starting before the first action above, ending after
       the last, at log level 10
2,3,4. strace of the three smbd processes.

-- Jamie

-