List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: [Acl-Devel] Re: JFS extended attributes and ACLs - New Patches
From:       Dave Kleikamp <shaggy () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-09-13 13:33:03

On Friday 13 September 2002 08:20, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> > It really wouldn't appear different to user-space.  Even on JFS,
> > "user.os2.a" would appear to be os2.a in the user namespace.  The
> > only difference would be how the kernel-space code stores is on
> > disk, and that it would appear in os/2's flat namespace.
>
> So there are different ways of storing xattrs? I wasn't aware of
> that.

Not different ways, actually.  In order for OS/2 to see the attribute
names as it expects, the "user.os2." attributes would be stored without
a prefix.  The attribute name for any other namespace would include the
namespace prefix.

Example:

From user-land:
user.test
user.os2.test

On disk:
user.test
test

OS/2 would see both attributes as they are stored on disk.  It has no
concept of namespaces, other than the convention that "system"
attributes begin with a period.

Of course it will work the same with either the "os2." or "user.os2."
prefix.

> Yes. "os2..*" seems alright.

I didn't think there'd be a problem.  I just thought it was interesting.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

-