List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: JFS extended attributes and ACLs - New Patches
From:       Dave Kleikamp <shaggy () austin ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-09-13 12:18:30

On Friday 13 September 2002 00:06, Nathan Scott wrote:
> I would shy away from a "hierarchical" namespace approach; if I grok
> what you're saying, I think it would mean that the value for the name
> "user.os2.a" would be different between filesystems (for JFS it would
> mean "a" in the user.os2 namespace, for everyone else it would mean
> "os2.a" in the user namespace) - that'd be pretty confusing.

It really wouldn't appear different to user-space.  Even on JFS,
"user.os2.a" would appear to be os2.a in the user namespace.  The only
difference would be how the kernel-space code stores is on disk, and
that it would appear in os/2's flat namespace.

I threw that out as an idea, but I think using "os2.a" makes more sense.
Note many of OS/2 xattrs start with a leading period, so the these will
look like "os2..SUBJECT" or something similar.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center

-