List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    RE: JFS extended attributes and ACLs - New Patches
From:       Luka Renko <luka.renko () hermes ! si>
Date:       2002-09-10 7:40:03

> On Monday 09 September 2002 10:02, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>
> > Extended user attributes should be allowed only for regular
> files and
> > for directories with the sticky bet cleared. Rationale: See the
> > attr(5) manual page.
>
> Hmm.  If different policies are to be applied to the different
> namespaces, I think it would be a good thing to move that
> policy to the
> vfs layer, rather than have each filesystem redundantly enforce these
> policies.
>
> If the VFS is requesting that an extended attribute be set, the
> filesystem-specific code should be able to assume it's allowed.  I've
> tried to keep the JFS code simple.  It really doesn't care
> and doesn't
> want to care about namespaces.  I've special cased the
> setting of acl's
> to make sure the permissions get set correctly, but I'd prefer this
> happened at a higher level as well.

I think that is the right solution. FS should not care about namespaces and
potential limitations they should just provide storage for EA.

I anyway do not like the fact that EA functionality is limited for different
type of files.
If the only limitation is quata system, then we may just have a additional
mount option to support EA on any file type - this way user can select what
they want to have (strict quota or EA on special files and symbolic links).

Regards,
Luka
-