List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    RE: File system filter driver on Linux
From:       Luka Renko <luka.renko () hermes ! si>
Date:       2001-09-21 14:37:57

> >It is however not that nice
> >to show that FS is "filterfs", but it is actually regular ext2 (or ext3,
> >reiserfs...).
>
> I can't quite parse this sentence, but if you're saying you want to mount
> filesystem with your filter in place and have it display as "ext2," I
> would
> disagree.  With the filter in place, it is a new filesystem type and
> should
> be visible as such.
>
> I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I think stacking filesystem
> drivers like this makes more sense than adding a "filter" concept to FS
> (i.e. register_filesystem(), sys_mount()).

I think that this is acceptable for uses like HSM, encryption FS,
replication and similar (where additional manipulation is done on data).
However if you would like just to have constant performance/usage monitoring
of FS I/O (for example for storage resource management application) it would
be much nicer if the filter would be "invisible" - at least not seen as
special FS type.
However it seems to me that it is not possible to make it invisible, because
there are no entry point in register_filesystem() or sys_mount() that would
allow something like this.

Regards,
Luka

-