List:       linux-firewire
Subject:    Re: Linux IEEE-1394 Driver: Mailinglist, Some info
From:       Matt Pujol <mattp () propwash ! co ! symbios ! com>
Date:       1998-06-29 23:55:30

Emanuel,

For quick and easy isochronous/IEC61883 capability, I suggest you order a Philips
AV Link evaluation kit - you can find ordering information at  Philips
Semiconductors; IEEE1394 Multimedia Bus
It is an evaluation kit for the Philips Link that does IEC61883.  The nice thing
is that it comes with firmware that makes it look like a 1394 compliant node and
has a data generator that creates IEC61883 formatted isochronous packets.  I think
it costs $375USD.  Very reasonable when you consider a PC7 for $2500USD.  The
Philips kit should be all you need to get isochronous services up and running in
your driver.

BTW, you asked me a question a few months ago about Pele, but I lost it....did you
figure out an answer?  If not, feel free to ask again.

Regards,

Matt

Emanuel Pirker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The mailinglist is up again - Doing some upgrade on the server vanished
> the alias... now the mailing list is handled by QMail and ezmlm.
>
> Below you find a forwarded email (me answering some question about testing
> the driver)... maybe it is of interest.
>
> Bye,
>
> Emanuel

> Hello,
>
> well I test the driver and chip by doing asynchronous transactions.
> Included with the driver source there is the small program testfw. It
> does just an ioctl() on the fwha0 device file. The ioctl parameter is
> recognized by the driver as "do a test by doing a read quadlet/block
> transaction". Indeed, I can read out e.g. the Configuration ROM of another
> device.
>
> Once I borrowed a Sony DS-250 conference camera for a short time. I could
> read out the Configuration ROM, and could compare the values with those
> of the 1394 DV spec. This was the first proof that the driver worked.
>
> At university now I have a test lab consisting of 3 PCs connected by 1394.
> Two are running Linux, one Windows 95. When starting one of Adaptec's
> 1394 diagnostic programs on the Windows PC, both Linux PCs are correctly
> identified as 1394 nodes with the vendor id of Adaptec. This is the proof
> that the driver answers read requests correctly.
>
> Of course, just doing transactions between the Linux hosts (e. g. write to
> a specific location and read afterwards) also reveals the correctness of
> the driver.
>
> I am currently stuck in the node registry. As in Adaptec's PAPI, I want to
> have 1394 device drivers operate on handles, not on node_ids. The handles
> should remain unchanged after bus reset. I call this layer "node
> registry/handle management". It is more complicated than it sounds, but I
> have to implement it now because it is vital for the ability to write 1394
> device drivers. After completion of the node registry I have scheduled to
> do the IP-over-1394... mostly because I do not have a device to use
> isochronous streams in a senseful way (borrowing the camera from a company
> 50 km away just for 1 or 2 days isn't funny after a few times). If
> somebody equipped with a camera or VCR does the isochronous streams while
> I am doing IP1394, would be the optimal case.
>
> If isochronous streams are provided by the AIC driver, writing a DV driver
> should be trivial. It should register a device /dev/fwdvX for each
> attached camera/video recorder. Writes to this device should open an
> isochronous data stream and switch the VCR to recording. Writes should be
> ignored by a camera devices. Reads from this device should set the device
> to "playing" and and the data should be delivered. Via ioctl() some
> parameters (hue, brightness, zoom etc.) should be configurable.
>
> Bye,
>
> Emanuel

>   Emanuel Pirker
> [...]

Matt Pujol                                       (970) 223-5100 x9816
1394 Systems/Applications                      matt.pujol@symbios.com
Symbios Semiconductors
Fort Collins, CO