List:       linux-fbdev-users
Subject:    [Linux-fbdev-users] X server fails after i810fb insertion
From:       "Mukund JB." <mukundjb () esntechnologies ! co ! in>
Date:       2005-03-22 11:19:59

Hi Adaplas,

I am unable to activate the X server on my Desktop after inserting the
i810fb driver as follows.

	modprobe i810fb vram=2 xres=1024 bpp=16 hsync1=30 hsync2=55
vsync1=50 	vsync2=85 accel=1
After that I get no GUI on the Desktop & when I say startx, I get some
errors & I have attached the relevant Xserver_log file as well as the
configuration file to this mail.

I am specific to i810fb driver as I want to rotate the screen using X
server

After that on trial basis when I modies the Device section as follows,
trhe GUI is working with a light shift in the screen. I thing that can
be rectified with modification is resolution but what is "fbdev" which
made my GUI work.

	Section " Device"
		Identifier "videocard0"
		Driver "fbdev"
		VendorName "videocard vendor"
		BoardName "Intel 810"
		VideoRam 16384
	EndSection

How do I solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mukund jampala

> > Is it a must that hardware should support the screen rotation. Can't
we
> > handle that in an fb driver? And, if possible do explain me that
like
> > How & where the fb driver allows changes to support screen rotation.
>
> It doesn't.
>

> > Please suggest me how can I activate the frambuffer on RedHat 9. It
is
> > not active on my system. When I say fbset -i, it responds saying
> > open /dev/fb0: No such device
> >
> > I have a Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 Graphic controller on my system.
Is a
> > fb driver specific to this. Does the generic fbdev work with this
> > controller?
>
> vesafb does not work for the i810.  You have to enable the specific
driver
> for it, i810fb, in your kernel config.  The i810fb is only available
for
> 2.6
> kernels, but you can grab an old patch for 2.4 in
>
> http://i810fb.sf.net
>
> Grab the latest one, and it should apply to any recent 2.4 kernel.
You
> might
> get hunk failures but it should be easy to fix.
>
> Tony
>
> BTW, the i810 does not support hardware rotation. It can be done in
> software,
> if you enable the fbdev driver for X.

["xserver_log" (application/octet-stream)]
["XF86config" (application/octet-stream)]