List:       linux-fbdev-devel
Subject:    Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] will the new edid functionality allow vesafb to set a frequency?
From:       Sven Luther <luther () dpt-info ! u-strasbg ! fr>
Date:       2003-04-11 8:09:48

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:42:30PM +0100, James Simmons wrote:

> > As the owner of a NVidia card, whose evil proprietary driver won't work
> > with rivafb, but would possibly work with vesafb (I see mixed messages
> > on usenet about this), I have the following question:
> >
> > will the new edid-functionality that is currently in heavy development
> > allow linux (somewhere in the future) to set a vertical refresh frequency
> > with vesafb? I did notice that this Ti500 card has a VESA/VBE 3.0
> > compatible BIOS, so it should be possible.
>
> Yes. Also long as your monitor supports EDID correctly. I tested it on my
> laptop and the data was botched :-(

BTW, what about monitors having a dual input (vga and dvi). I think they
give back the same edid on both entries, yet clearly the dvi entry
cannot do scaling and support less monitor modes, at lest for my Sony
SDM-X52. BTW, get-edid failed to read the entries :

get-edid: get-edid version 1.4.1

	Performing real mode VBE call
	Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
	Function supported
	Call successful

	VBE version 200
	VBE string at 0x11148 " P9"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
	Report DDC capabilities

	Performing real mode VBE call
	Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
	Function supported
	Call successful

	Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
	Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
	0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
	Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
	Read EDID

	Performing real mode VBE call
	Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
	Function supported
	Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
EDID claims 7 more blocks left

*********** Something special has happened!
Please contact the author, John Fremlin
E-mail: one of vii@altern.org,vii@mailcc.com,vii@mailandnews.com
Please include full output from this program (especially that to stderr)

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
	Read EDID

	Performing real mode VBE call
	Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
	Function supported
	Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
EDID claims 255 more blocks left
EDID blocks left is wrong.
Your EDID is probably invalid.
Reading next EDID block

[...]