List:       linux-fai
Subject:    Re: disk_config on machines that contain a large number of disks &
From:       Michael Tautschnig <mt () debian ! org>
Date:       2008-12-10 6:16:21

> Hello,
>
> I have been working as QA Engineer on a team that is using FAI to deploy linux \
> clusters on a few hundred machines for testing.  The machines that we are \
> experiencing this issue on have 3 or 4 disk controllers and 12 or more disks.  We \
> are running into a problem where Fai decides to start installing to a different \
> disk.  Because the bios is set to boot off of the disk on the onboard disk \
> controller, it will boot into the previous installation of debian etch, while the \
> new install will sit on some other disk, typically on a different controller.  Has \
> anybody else experienced issues like this with fai?

The only option seems to use disk IDs (each drive has a (unique?) ID) that one
may use to identify specific disks or groups of disks.

You may want to give the experimental packages (see
http://faiwiki.debian.net/index.php/Main_Page#getting_FAI) a try, these include
some (still limited) support for disk IDs in setup-storage. To make use of this,
instead of saying disk_config /dev/sda use disk_config /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-*
(that is, you can use shell globbing). I have pretty much no idea what kind of
names you will find in /dev/disk/by-id/, but I'd appreciate feedback about
these, so we can extend the handling of that stuff, probably by extending to it
to full perl regexps instead of shell globbing.

Best,
Michael