List:       linux-fai
Subject:    Re: Need simulate apt-get with backports
From:       Steffen Grunewald <steffen.grunewald () aei ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2008-05-30 15:10:49

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 01:52:28PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> TOUZEAU DAVID rote:
> >
> >apt-get install debian-backports-keyring
> >apt-get -t etch-backports install postfix
> >
> >how to simulate it in /fai/config/package_config file ?*
>
>  -t is not supported in package_config files.
>
> Possibilities:
>
> * You could look at the install_packages script and add an additional
> PACKAGES type for your use. This will have several implications,
> depending on how complex this is to be solved, maybe Thomas will release
> a new version with this patch  soon
>
> * install the packages you need with a script in scripts (not really
> nice if you have more than a small set of packages)
>
> * Try to use pinning to get your packages installed

Another one:

- have your own repository of additional packages
- get the source package from backports and re-build it
	(that's what I often had to do if amd64 packages were lacking)
- or download the binary package and install it locally

This has the advantage that when a newer version comes out in the main
distro, you won't get stuck with the backported one (and there's no ugly
code in your FAI installation that noone could explain after 2 years)

Of course this means that you have to resolve dependencies properly,
and perhaps host a lot more packages.

Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/
* e-mail: steffen.grunewald(*)aei.mpg.de * +49-331-567-{fon:7233,fax:7298}
No Word/PPT mails - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html