List:       linux-fai
Subject:    Re: Getting hostnames from PXE to build
From:       Thomas Lange <lange () informatik ! Uni-Koeln ! DE>
Date:       2006-03-02 14:46:31

>>>>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:26:02 +1100, Darryl Luff <darryl@snakegully.nu> said:

    > label jack
    > kernel fai/vmlinuz-install
    > append ... hostname=jack
To set the hostname you can use the kernel append parameter ip=. From
the nfsroot.txt from the kernel sources:

  <hostname>    Name of the client. If empty, the client IP address is
                used in ASCII notation, or the value received by BOOTP.

    > I add 'hostname=jack' to the kernel command line so I can use the
    > hostname as a key to select the FAI classes. To make it work like this,
    > I had to add a few lines to fai/nfsroot/usr/sbin/fai to pickup the
    > hostname from /proc/cmdline and export it to $HOSTNAME.
And also call the command hostname with this "new" hostname.

> Is there a more standard 'fai' way to do this, that doesn't involve
> modifying 'fai' itself in any way? The hostname has to be set before the
See above. You can also add HOST=jack on the command line. Then, the script fai
will set this hostname.

--
regards Thomas