List:       linux-ext4
Subject:    mount ext2/3 as ext4 - no changes to ext2/3 fs structures?
From:       Thomas Kupper <thomas () kupper ! org>
Date:       2010-01-31 22:31:03

Hello,

I guess it's a very simple question which I could not find a clear answer on the net: \
The ext4 wiki states that since 2.6.29 one can mount ext2/3 as ext4 without any \
changes.

Consider the following scenario: Assume I have a partition formated with ext2 on a \
computer with some 2.4.x kernel. Now I mount this ext2 partition on another computer \
as ext4 using a 2.6.29+ kernel. After that I take the disk back to the older computer \
and mount the ext2 on the 2.4.x kernel with the ext2 driver.

Does that work? Or is the ext4 driver updating some internal structures in a way that \
an old ext2 driver can't handle that partition anymore? Assume I  don't enable any \
ext4 specific features like extents, etc.

Thanks for any clarification or pointing to a doc that does,
Thomas--