List:       linux-ext4
Subject:    [Ext2-devel] ext2/3 xattr index value
From:       Andreas Dilger <adilger () clusterfs ! com>
Date:       2003-05-05 19:39:05

Hi Stephen, Andreas,
could you consider using a different value for EXT3_XATTR_INDEX_SECURITY
than 5?  We have been using this for Lustre EA data.  Since the security
attributes code is pretty new it shouldn't be a huge deal to change.

In any case, could we have an EA index reserved for Lustre?  Andreas,
we are currently using "EXT3_XATTR_INDEX_LUSTRE" as 5, but having _some_
value reserved for us would at least allow us to avoid this problem in
the future.  I seem to recall that I had asked for such a reservation
in the past, but I can't seem to find it.

Cheers, Andreas

PS - On a related note, we will be starting to implement fast EAs in large
     inodes very shortly.  My recollection is that the one requirement is
     that we reserve a count for "number of bytes used by new (fixed) fields
     for regular inode", but nothing else.  Requirements are solicited.
--
Andreas Dilger