List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    RE: [Ext2-devel] Re: Extended attributes: process vs. kernel cont
From:       Luka Renko <luka.renko () hermes ! si>
Date:       2002-11-11 14:40:09

On Mon, November 11, 2002, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> I think adding a (struct task_struct *) parameter to the xattr inode
> operations is a better idea --- I don't know how likely it is that
> credentials will be passed around in a future kernel, but if
> it's likely then
> the xattr inode operations would move in the right direction,
> instead of
> introducing weird flag(s).

But to we know that this will be the move in the right direction?
I kind of like Ted's proposal (adding just flag for priviledged uses) - it
just extends flags argument to all xattr functions (currently only in
setxattr). If task_struct will be passed in the future, a major refactoring
of VFS will be required anyhow and xattr functions will be just a smaller
part of the effort.

Regards,
Luka