List:       linux-embedded
Subject:    Re: ramfs/tmpfs for application partition
From:       Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad () codefidence ! com>
Date:       2009-01-18 13:55:27

Jacob Avraham wrote:

> Gilad,
>
> Not out of the woods yet.
>
> I can’t just burn a tar ball straight into a raw mtd partition. When
> I’ll try to untar it, if I’ll do:
>
> tar zxf /dev/mtd6
>
> tar will read the whole mtd partition, and I don’t think it’s a good
> idea to use a raw device as tar file.
>
> So should I package the tar in a filesystem, like cramfs?

That's certainly possible - just make sure your tar file is smaller then
the 256Mb file limit of cramfs (if memory serves me right) - otherwise
just use squashfs.

I'll add that if you're already going to have a file system (and your
reasons seems to make sense to me) I would have just forgot about the
tar file and put the file in cramfs/squashfs to begin with and just copy
them over the initramfs during boot (something like cp -a /mnt/mtd6/* /).

> In that case, I don’t need to compress the tar file, as cramfs is
> compressed, right?

That is correct.

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.
The code is free, your time isn't.(TM)

Web:    http://codefidence.com
Email:  gilad@codefidence.com
Office: +972-8-9316883 ext. 201
Fax:    +972-8-9316885
Mobile: +972-52-8260388

	The Doctor: Don't worry, Reinette, just a nightmare.
	Everyone has nightmares. Even monsters from under the
	bed have nightmares, don't you, monster?
	Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
	The Doctor: Me!