List:       linux-embedded
Subject:    Re: prevalence of C++ in embedded linux?
From:       "Bart Van Assche" <bart.vanassche () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-30 11:04:10

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> wrote:
> Bart Van Assche wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Leisner, Martin
>> <Martin.Leisner@xerox.com> wrote:
>> > If you're embedded device has a window system, than a language like C++
>> > is fine...But...
>>
>> C++ is suited for much more than just windowing systems. A good
>> example is the GOLD project, a linker for ELF files. GOLD is a rewrite
>> of the GNU linker (ld). See also
>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/04/gold-google-releases-new-and-improved.html.
>
> Is C++ intrinsic to GOLD's linking superiority over ld?  Or was it
> chosen because the author fancied using it?  (I don't know).

I don't know whether C++ is intrinsic to GOLD's linking superiority.
The reason I cited the GOLD project is because of the programming
style of the GOLD source code. A quote from
http://lwn.net/Articles/274859/, about the GOLD source code:

I looked through the gold sources a bit. I wish everything in the GNU
toolchain were written this way. It is very clean code, nicely
commented, and easy to follow. It shows pretty clearly, I think, the
ways in which C++ can be better than C when it is used well.

Bart.