List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    [linux-elitists] (forw) Questions about the Tripwire GPL release
From:       Rick Moen rick () linuxmafia ! com
Date:       2000-06-23 8:37:42

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick> -----

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:34:57 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick>
To: cperez@tripwire.org
Subject: Questions about the Tripwire GPL release

Dear Mr. Perez:

I'm a friend of Don Marti's, whom you've corresponded with recently,
and was delighted to hear of the recent decision.

It is my understanding that copyright on the Tripwire codebase remains
owned by Purdue Research Foundation (PRF), and that Tripwire, Inc.
develops Tripwire under a licence of exclusive commercial rights from
them, as detailed at http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/coast/coast-tools.html .
(PRF's original licence, as shown in COAST Tripwire versions through v.
1.2, prohibited commercial use.)  So:

Has Tripwire, Inc. purchased or otherwise acquired PRF's copyright on
Tripwire?  Otherwise, how does Tripwire, Inc. have the legal right to
issue a GPLed version of Tripwire?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

rick (at) linuxmafia.com                      Or denied.  So there.

----- End forwarded message -----