List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    [linux-elitists] Re: [svlug] Burn All GIFs Day
From:       Don Marti dmarti () zgp ! org
Date:       1999-11-03 0:02:20

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:01:02PM -0800, Derek J. Balling wrote:

> The average web author, who is not using GD or the like, will never hear a
> peep from Unisys, because the software they use (Paint Shop Pro, or
> whatever) to create GIF's already has a license.

Actually, gd uses the PNG format now, so you're safe with gd.

The original message did leave out the case of people who are using
Unisys-licensed, shrink-wrap software exclusively.  The GIMP,
xpaint, and the other open-source tools that can "save as GIF"
aren't legally allowed to.

I doubt most people on this list have a program that works under
Linux and is actually licensed to create GIFs.

--
Don Marti               |  When I hear the word "firewall,"
dmarti@zgp.org          |  I reach for my revolver.