List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    Re: [linux-elitists]
From:       Shlomi Fish <shlomif () iglu ! org ! il>
Date:       2009-03-19 8:18:21

On Thursday 19 March 2009 09:36:46 Ben Finney wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@linuxmafia.com> writes:
> > On which: I've been using Gmail for work for the past few months. It
> > sucks less than a lot of other mail clients, but mutt still sucks
> > less. Getting a new laptop configured, finally, and it's going to
> > get fetchmail + procmail + mutt on it RSN.
>
> Word, brother.
>
> I find procmail comfortable through experience, but hot damn it's
> still far more baroque than it needs to be. I've been casting sly
> glances at GNU Sieve for a couple of years.

Hmmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_(mail_filtering_language) looks
interesting. I recall a sieve implementation being installed in some webmail
package I used, and there wasn't a way to filter based on the body. But it
seems RFC 5173 fixed it.

I should note that there are also some CPAN modules to filter email:

* http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-Audit/

* http://search.cpan.org/dist/Email-Filter/

There may be something similar for other similar languages, but I'm out of the
loop there.

In any case, I'm still using the built-in KMail filters, which are not very
powerful, but have a good advantage of being well-integrated with KMail. So
for example, if I move or rename a folder, KMail also changes the filter to
point to the new path of the folder. :-D And they also can handle maildir
folders pretty well.

> > Someone did me the favor of indicating that Mac was not a good
> > choice, either as OS or hardware....
>
> Whereas someone did *me* the favour of donating some Mac hardware a
> few years ago, which has survived far better and consumed far fewer
> resources (of all kinds I can measure) than the x86 jungle.

Was it an x86-mac or a PPC-mac?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish