List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    Re: [linux-elitists] That ol' familiar MUA song (was: [Meta] Is it
From:       Paul Collins <paul () burly ! ondioline ! org>
Date:       2009-03-19 8:04:16

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@linuxmafia.com> writes:
>
>> on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:08:06AM +0000, Jason White (jason@jasonjgw.net) wrote:
>> > Mutt is the best MUA that I have used so far. GNUS is tempting,
>> > but apparently its performance is slow with large maildir folders,
>> > of which I have a tendency to accumulate many.
>
> I'm using a combination of Gnus for NNTP (which includes both Usenet
> proper, and Gmane's wealth of forums available via NNTP), and Mutt for
> IMAP. I haven't tried Gnus against IMAP much to know if it's slow.

I use Gnus locally with a remote Dovecot via an ssh tunnel, and it's not bad.

> I find procmail comfortable through experience, but hot damn it's
> still far more baroque than it needs to be. I've been casting sly
> glances at GNU Sieve for a couple of years.

Dovecot's LDA has a sieve plugin.  Here I was going to complain about it
being useless due to lacking such advanced features as regexps, but the
Internet claims it does, so I guess I'll have to look into it again.

--
Paul Collins
Wellington, New Zealand

Dag vijandelijk luchtschip de huismeester is dood