List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    Re: [linux-elitists] [Meta] Is it now possible to CC other
From:       Vineet Kumar <vineet () doorstop ! net>
Date:       2009-03-18 17:53:39

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:
> Don Marti  <dmarti@zgp.org> wrote:
>
>>I just commented out the "subscribe" stuff in
>>my .muttrc and "L" works just fine. Of course,
>>Mailman sends Mutt the List-Id, List-Unsubscribe,
>>List-Archive, List-Pos, List-Help, and List-Subscribe
>>headers (RFC 2369 and 2919), so it would be hard for
>>Mutt not to be able to say that it didn't know this
>>was a list message.
>
> It used to be the case that Mutt wouldn't honour those headers when list-reply
> was used; hence the address of the list had to be included in the ~/.muttrc
> configuration.

I actually don't think that functionality is very recent.

The 'lists' and 'subscribe' configuration directives are used by mutt
for it to generate appropriate Mail-Followup-To headers on *outgoing*
messages to mailing lists. The idea is that you can use these to tell
mutt whether or not you prefer to get individual responses to your
mailing list posts. If you tell it 'lists', it will generate
'subscribe' or 'lists', then mutt has no way of knowing (for a new,
non-reply message) that this is a mailing list post, and will not
automatically insert a Mail-Followup-To.

Vineet