List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    Re: [linux-elitists] Site duplication... is this widespread?
From:       Evan Prodromou <evan () prodromou ! name>
Date:       2008-02-03 20:55:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:15 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> Given that you control the CSS, you have a perfect opportunity to make hi=
> entire site un-viewable, simply by changing the CSS when the referer is s=
et
> externally (white text on white background?)

My experience running Open Content sites is that people who create
mirrors generally have good intentions and would like to retain a
positive relationship. They don't abuse your bandwidth because they want
to screw you over; they do it because they think you're so big you won't
care.

Usually a quick email to the registered domain owner has been enough to
see some changes on the site -- reduced hotlinking, better attribution,
some differentiation of brand.

-Evan