List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    Re: [linux-elitists] Simplest power management problem
From:       Roger Luethi <collector () hellgate ! ch>
Date:       2006-08-26 12:07:31

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:34:37 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 08:17:55AM -0700, Patrick Mochel wrote:
> > What do you want? Documentation or people to contribute patches?
>
> Both, but especially code.  Everyone knows power management needs a lot
> of work, but it just seems that people keep talking about it.  The
> actual fixes are quite slow in arriving...

Last time I tried to fix power management in some drivers, I got the
impression that pci-skeleton.c and Documentation/power/pci.txt didn't agree
much on anything, and neither did other drivers that I checked for
reference. And that's without undocumented hardware quirks.

The other thing, I guess, is motivation: one driver perfectly supporting
power management won't buy you much -- in fact, I'd call myself lucky if I
could easily verify whether a driver's power management is functional, or
what's lacking.

Just my $.02.

Roger