List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    [linux-elitists] [AlanMcNaught@dial.pipex.com: RE: [InChI-discuss]
From:       Eugen Leitl <eugen () leitl ! org>
Date:       2005-10-05 9:18:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Any license wonks here? This is pretty important.

----- Forwarded message from Alan <AlanMcNaught@dial.pipex.com> -----

From: Alan <AlanMcNaught@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:34:45 +0100
To: inchi-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: 'Steve Heller' <steve@hellers.com>
Subject: RE: [InChI-discuss] Re: InChI software license

Dear Rich and other inchi-discuss members

The project registered on SourceForge is to "develop facilities for using
and applying the InChI algorithm"; any resulting applications would then be
available under the Artistic Licence. As you would expect, a previous
application to include the InChI code itself in a more comprehensive project
was turned down because of the nature of the present InChI licence.

As Geoff points out, I said in June that the matter of the InChI license
could be reconsidered, and that I would be happier to do this when we were
able to make conformance-testing routines available. This work is not yet
complete. However, I will be talking to various people about changing the
InChI licence during the next few weeks, and should appreciate any advice on
what OS licence might be most appropriate, bearing in mind some remaining
anxiety about preserving the integrity of the InChI code.

With best wishes

Alan McNaught