List:       linux-elitists
Subject:    [linux-elitists] Infringement as Marketing
From:       Bulent Murtezaoglu <bm () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-17 17:33:51

[...]
    DM> ... Since Iraq never signed on
    DM> to the copyright conventions common in other countries, Iraqis
    DM> have no sensitivity to the issue.

That sensitivity will not develop even when the proper laws and
international agreements are set up.  I am afraid Iraq will have
trouble enforcing even laws against murder for a while.  Their best
bet in developing open source know-how is for some US company _using_
open source to get some gov't IT infrastructure contracts.  When time
comes for Iraqis themselves to do government purchasing,
well-connected locals would tend to bid using whatever stuff that's
already there and employ the local talent.

cheers,

BM