List:       linux-edac
Subject:    edac/i7300_edac.c: dmesg spammed with FB-DIMM Northbound parity error
From:       Martijn van O <kleptog () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-03 8:46:42

Hoi,

We put some new memory in a Dell machine R900 (from 32GB to 64GB)
yesterday and after booting we started to get the following
approximately once per second in the dmesg output.

Aug  2 13:23:41 machine kernel: [ 1997.830074] EDAC MC0: CE row 6,
channel 0, label "": Corrected error (Branch=0, Channel 0),
DRAM-Bank=5 RD RAS=14636 CAS=2804, CE Err=0x20000,
Syndrome=0xb296eb66(FBD Northbound parity error on FBD Sync Status))

I've looked up the datasheet for the i7300 and it has the following to say:

ERR # in MCH: M21
Error Name: FB-DIMM Northbound parity error on a FB-DIMM Sync Status
Definition: The MCH detected a northbound parity error on a Sync Status
Error Type: Correctable
Log Register: FERR_NF_FBD, NERR_NF_FBD, RECFBD
Cause / Actions:
    Drop. If sync was issued to prepare a fast reset for alert
recovery then replay any queued configuration command destined for an
alerting DIMM or a DIMM with a corrupted status CRC.
    WARNING: Possible double DIMM configuration command execution may
incur undesirable side-effects.

Now, action "Drop" seems to imply this error is completely harmless.
It probably means something, it just haven't figured out what.

My main reason for emailing is that it would be nice if the message
what somewhat rate limited. On the other hand you don't want to drop
the message entirely. I hoping someone here would have some ideas
about how to suppress the excessive output.

Thanks in advance,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/