List:       linux-dvb
Subject:    [linux-dvb] Introduction
From:       Uri Shkolnik <urishk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-01-12 15:33:19

Mauro,

My name is Uri Shkolnik, I work at Siano Mobile Silicon as a software architect.

I tried to get in touch with you lately, but I had probably used the wrong email \
address, so forgive me for contacting by replying to a post of yours to the one of \
the LinuxTV mailing lists...
Siano develops DTV chip-sets (multi-standards, multi-interfaces) which are used by \
Siano's many customers and partners. Couple of years ago, our Linux support was \
minimal, but that situation has changed, and proximately a year ago, we started to \
get more an more demand for Linux kernel support, and we started to offer a minimal \
set of drivers.
At the beginning, we used the excellent services given to us by Michael Krufky, and \
actually everything we want to publish went through him.
Recently, the number of Siano-based Linux projects and products increased \
significantly.
With the fast growing number of customers and projects, the number of additional \
interfaces, DTV standards and changes fast growth we needed a different approach.
On mid-November, we took the second approach which is suggested at the README.patches \
file, and submitted the patches to the linux-dvb mailing list, till today, except \
some people who took those patches and apply them locally on their systems, nothing \
has been done with those patches, and the main mercurial tree has not been updated \
with them.
The current state is that a huge gap has been opened between the LinuxTV repository \
(and from it to the Linux kernel git) offering and what we have at Siano.
We would like to close this gap ASAP and maintain an on-going, easy synchronizing \
process.
It seems that the best method to archive this goal is to have maintainer permissions \
on media/dvb/siano directory.

Please advice,

Best regard,

Uri Shkolnik